Spitroasting V – the final hearts

July 27, 2010

As I plan to serve this heart-dish in a near future, I ‘ll give it a third and last try. The butcher had provided me with an extra heart in the meat delivery, so this day I would try how the spit worked to roast more than one heart at a time.

Having to hearts to play with I was given the chance to alter the reparation somewhat. The hearts were quite different in appearance and would have belonged to one lamb and one sheep – or a rather obese lamb. The outer fat layers of the larger heart made me rethink the use of bacon in the filling. The smaller heart was barded with a few slices of thick bacon and the larger heart had to suffice with its own fat. For the filling I let the both heart differ some. In the larger heart I used almost the same mixture as in the previous attempt, that is lingon/cowberries, juniperberries, alpine leek, thyme and honey, though perhaps with a bit more leek in this mixture. In the smaller heart I made a slight alteration and used mead instead of honey, to give the filling a more liquid feel to it.

I encountered some problems when I tried to get both of the hearts fixed to the spit. Without any securing the smaller heart – which I had placed further out than the bigger heart – would not spin at the same time as the full spit was spun, but instead remain with the same side up. The larger heart could be secured with a skewer placed with a 90 degree angle from the main spit, and thus securing it against the two side prongs. In order to remedy the loose small heart I had to place two skewers that run through both the bigger and the smaller heart, thus making sure that when the larger heart moved the smaller would as well. For basting I decided to mix some of the remaining lingon-/cowberries mixtures with the honey I had planned to baste them with.

As the wind kept blowing and I was still tending my cooking outside, I could expect a rather quickly burning fire, if I ever I was able to get the fire started. The cooking procedure was more or less the same as previously with a rather aggressive fire roasting the heart. I could notice, however, that I got far more of the drippings from this batch. After about 40 minutes the hearts started to look more or less finished with with a nicely glazed surface, but I decided to give it about 20 more minutes. When I took the hearts of the fire and made a cut into the meat I noticed the same colour on the as I did previously.

The taste was the most favorable so far, and the lingonberry/honey glazing was a really good addition to it all. However, if I would like the filling to give the whole dish a bit more taste I probably ought to let it marinate with the lingonberry mixture inside the heart for a bit longer. I found the meat quite supple and it was easy to cut nice thin slices even with the excuse for a knife that I used. Though the meat it self had a really nice taste, a special treat was to dip the meat in the remaining glazing that had dripped of into the pot underneath.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: