Salt recovery -some results
June 22, 2010
After the previous attempt at recovering salt I ended up with salt that had the touch and feel of old beach sand, so in order to dry it I hung it up above the hearth. After letting it spend a few days there I hoped that it would be dry enough to be measured with out to many errors.
In the first batch of brine, which was a bit to much considering the amount of meat put in, I measured that we had used approximately 1,5 kg of salt. Now that I measured the remaining salt I found the weight to be 1,15 kg, considering the linen bag, the rust and that it possibly still contained some water I would say that I managed to recover about 1 kg or 2/3 of the original amount.
While not an excellent amount, still some could probably be recovered if the meat is soaked before cooking. And it would at least allow for a somewhat more economic use of salt.